I have been staring at this blank
Word document for approximately 13.6 minutes. Yes, I will admit 7.9 of those
minutes were consumed by my slightly disgusting love making with my Jimmy
John’s sandwich, but still. 13.6 minutes. I was not at a loss of words; rather,
I was startled by my realization that I might just be having a grand epiphany.
Halleluiah! OH MY GOD. Call the press!
Aly is having a
moment.
Let’s start with
some background: I am a feminist. If you asked my friends back home, everyone
would confidently agree that I am a feminist. However, I read the romance. And
I used to feel horribly guilty for it. While countless feminists bravely fought
for the freedom of my vagina, I continually read about star-crossed lovers and
sensitive female heroines. Could I really be a feminist while indulging this
little habit of mine? I look to this class for the answer.
I’m pretty sure
Phillips and Krentz articles about Romance
and Empowerment changed my entire viewpoint on feminism and the romance.
Sparks flew. Taylor Swift appeared and it was magical. These articles made an
impact on my way of thinking because I had never considered that the historic
‘happy endings’ of all romance novels could be byproducts of feminism. I
believed that the happy ending embodied everything anti-feminist- the girl, yet
again, falls for the boy that is mysterious, controlling, and dangerous. I
always shook my head at them; I mean surely these heroines could not be the
feminist role models I have been searching for.
However, I now
understand how these heroines could be considered feminists. These women, by
some awesome power instilled in them, have the ability to make a mysterious,
controlling, and dangerous man fall in love with them. They find love in a
hopeless place and its not because they were physically stronger than the men- it’s
because their beauty, talent, and stubbornness turned the men into better
mates. They tamed the ever-illusive male beast, and I admire them for it. As a
learner, I have noticed that I prefer to think of things as black and white.
Those articles, and this new viewpoint, opened my eyes to the various
intricacies within the world literature and social sciences. That was my new
epiphany, but I have still not completely eliminated those feelings of guilt.
This is my
prediction why: it’s the damn break-ups in romance. During the temporary
break-up/fight scenes in romance novels, the heroines are reduced to
blubbering, dependent whiners. They lose all that spunk that made the men fall
for them in the first place. And to be honest, a break-up is not the end of the
world. Single people have more time for naps; they don’t technically have to
shave their legs as often. Single women can travel, advance in their career,
reconnect with old friends - aren’t all those things lovely? But instead, in
romance novels, the heroines are utterly crippled by their heartbreak. They
can’t function. I say they need to look at the bright side and strap on their
feminist boots.
Or maybe I just
don’t know what it feels like to lose “the one”. ßLook, that’s my new ‘shades of grey’
learning style talking.
And wait- THE
MOMENT ISN’T OVER.
SURPRISE.
#ephiphanynumbertwo.
I think I may be
missing something. In both the Phillips and Krentz articles, they describe a
woman’s attraction to the ‘dangerous men’. Krentz even notes: “The flat truth
is that you don’t get much of a challenge for a heroine from a sensitive,
understanding, right-thinking “modern man” who is part therapist, part best
friend, and thoroughly tamed from the start” (Krentz 109).
But in romance
novels, its that sensitive, sweet character I am always attracted to. I
preferred Jacob to Edward. I hyperventilate over all of Sarah Dessen’s male
characters. I loved Duckie. So what’s wrong with me? What does this attraction
say about me as a woman?
I will begin
with three simple defenses to my disgust with those strong, brooding types:
- The ‘hero-villains’ are always too damn serious. I need a little humor in my life.
- They’re too moody. I’m moody. Enough of this.
- Do flowers and compliments really mean anything? I would rather have the man notice a million little things about me than say something awkwardly romantic. Let’s be real here.
So that’s why I
like the nice guys, and for a while, I thought my attraction to the nice guys
was demonstrative of my feminist nature. I loved the characters that would
naturally treat me well! However, this class has put this into question. The
nice guys don’t take any work to be with; therefore, am I weaker because I
don’t want a challenge? Am I anti-feminist because I want a romance that
doesn’t test my perseverance and strength?
So, I don’t
really know what it means to be a woman in relationships. However, I’m not
quite ready to give up on my identity as a feminist. I have a vagina, and I
want to be in control of it. According to Moran, I must be a feminist.
Thus, this class
has allowed me to analyze myself as a romantic and a feminist. I just realized
that when I was asked to think of my epiphanies during this class, I only
analyzed my relationship to my romantic preferences.
Is that
anti-feminist of me? Do I look fat in these jeans? The world may never know.


First of all, Aly, your blog post absolutely cracked me up. I really enjoyed how you made your musings on feminism and romance humorous. It made it much more fun to read! I was also surprised and intrigued by the Phillips and Krentz articles. I had always viewed romance novels as a depiction of romantic women falling in love with strong and handsome men. These articles showed me that, in reality, the women of romance novels display many feminist characteristics. They show their power through their ability to control the emotions of men and by turning men into loving and sensitive people. As Susan Phillips says in The Romance and the Empowerment of Women, “The heroine isn’t as big as he is; she isn’t as strong, as old, as worldly; many times she isn’t as well educated. Yet despite these limitations she confronts him – not with physical strength but with intelligence and courage. And what happens? She always wins! Guts and brains beat brawn every time” (Phillips 56-57). Men are stereotypically supposed to be the strong ones, but the women always show more strength in works of romance. As you said, now that I recognize their strength in these novels, I see that they are admirable and intelligent women. According to Judith Arnold in Women Do, women in romance, “Take steps, hold opinions, and move forward into the world, blazing their own paths through life” (Arnold 134). I do not think you have any reason to feel guilty reading romance novels because the strong aspects of the characters outweigh their brief moments of dependence they experience when they are heartbroken. As you said, feminism and romance certainly are not black and white, which makes defining them difficult, but it also allows us to draw connections between the two.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say you are more attracted to the “nice guys” of romance. I am not one to go for the guy who acts like a jerk and thinks he can take advantage of women, which is how many characters appear at the beginning of a romance novel or movie. What I have determined from this class is that many male characters begin this way, and then turn in to the nice guy that we like so much by the conclusion of the movie. This transformation is in part due to the effect of the heroine on the man. According to Krentz in Trying to Tame the Romance “Romance novels are tales of brave women taming dangerous men” (Krentz 113). I find that I am more attracted to a nice guy if he was mean at the beginning of the romance and transforms in to a compassionate and loving man who respects women. I like the nice guy too, but if he changes into a nice guy for his woman I am even more impressed. I do not believe that liking the nice guy is anti-feminist of you, as a matter of fact it is probably quite feminist. You prefer men who respect women, and always have. You are attracted to a relationship where a woman can be a feminist without having to tame a man because she already has his respect. I think that it is possible to be a feminist and still be a romantic if you believe in romantic women as strong characters who desire control and success in their lives, which is usually the case in romance. Allow yourself to be in control of your vagina, while enjoying your lovely romantic novels about women in control of theirs.