Monday, October 15, 2012

Does this connect? Let's hope.


Why did I choose this class? I really like rom-coms. No really.

Although I chose this class because I’m an avid movie watcher, I have learned many things whilst in this class, but the one thing that has stuck with me is escapism. What an interesting thought. Radway describes, specifically women reading romance, as “a way of temporarily refusing the demands associated with their social roles as wives and mothers” (Radway 207). Escapism is not only experienced by women, but by men too.

Wait, whaaat? Something that finally affects a man in a feminism class? NO WAY!

Yes way.

It seems that men participate in escapism too, so I thought, how do I participate in escapism? My big escapism is Facebook. Social networking. It is my getaway from homework, from responsibilities, from life. So, how are social networking and reading a romance novel similar? Glad you asked. You see, when a woman reads a romance novel, she is jumping into a world where she can spy on other people’s life, living vicariously through them…sound familiar? There is a term that has been coined by our generation, “Facebook stalking” or simply, “creepin’”. These two terms mean viewing someone’s Facebook page extensively without their knowledge. This can be someone you’ve known for a while, or someone you have never met. The term is normally used on someone you’ve never met, but it can be applied to viewing people’s profiles you do know. When I view my friend’s page who goes to Dartmouth a little piece of me wishes I was there, with her, enjoying the New England foliage, but then I see my other friend in Hawaii soaking up the sun, and I would love to be visiting him as well. This was one of the interesting revelations I had.

We’ll have another aha-moment…right after this. *commercial, commercial blah blah blah…

And we’re back!

In my eighteen years of existing I have never been in a relationship, yeah I know, boo hoo, somebody call E-Harmony. But really…

Anyways, even though I have never been in a relationship, I feel as though if I was, if anyone ever used a romantic line on me I would spit out whatever beverage I was currently drinking as a result of laughing so hard. When we watched the film Pretty in Pink there was a line made by Blane, “I was with you. I had a great time. If I was in a Turkish prison, I’d have a great time with you.” I mean, if someone said this to me, my response would be one squinty eye and an awkward, “Thank you?” 

This doesn’t have very much to do with feminism, but it made me realize I’m a pessimist. I mean, I guess I kinda knew before, but this just solidified it for me.

Sorry this blog has been sort of all over the place and crazy, and also sorry I couldn’t really connect it to my writing style, or myself as a learner, but one thing I can take away from this class is that I am learning real world knowledge, with real world applications. I’m not going to say I’ve learned more in one half quarter of college, than I did in High School (because that’s not true) but I have learned a whole hell of a lot. So, watch out world, I’m a feminist, and I’m also a dude. Let’s see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. My dearest Cam,

    After reading your post I have found a connection to you and a difference between us (besides the male/female difference). Although in my post I described that escapism is not what I feel influences me to read romance novels after reading your post and thinking back to Phillip's article "The Romance and The Empowerment of Women" I am beginning to see that I do use escapism. I just happen to want to make what I escape to my reality. Phillips writes, "For years the consensus of opinion has been that we offered readers an escape from reality through the fantasy of an exciting man, a glamorous setting, a wonderful adventure." (Phillips 54). I see now how this does pertain to me. I however, push further and act on what I want to see become my reality. You discuss that you gaze at your peers social network sites and feel an escape from your reality. How far do you push this escape? I am curious to understand where the line is between escaping and actively going for a more desirable reality.

    On to the film "Pretty in Pink". You talk about how you viewed the film pessimistically. Well I am here to say I am glad you interpreted the film at all! According to Storey's article on film the "male gaze" is twofold. Women are viewed as either the object of sexual desire or the threat of castration. (Storey 77). You have gone beyond what is expected on you to view as a male viewer. You are actually viewing the film in a rather feminine way! Although, I do not tend to passively and pessimistically view films. I want to be an active viewer and remain optimistic about my chances!

    Well we can agree to disagree on some things and bond on others. We can still be friends nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete