Seidel's chapter centers on the joy she brings to romance readers. In this post, respond similarly. How might you finish this sentence: "judge me by the XXX that I bring..." Attempt to connect it to this class, to your education, and to who you are as a person. Use Seidel to ground your thinking. Feel free to be as creative with your response as you like so long as you ground your thinking with real experiences and the reading. Per normal: 250-400 words. Dialogue with one another.
Due: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 by class.
Judge me by the maternity that I bring… I as many others am made up of many personality. In class I am mostly quiet, with friends I am loud and the crazy , and with my family I am the second mother.
ReplyDeleteSince my dad died I gave up on allot of my childhood and adolescence in order to help out my family. To me it’s not sad; it makes me happy to help my mother, to see my sibling grow up, to help teach them, to feed them, to shower them, even to yell at those lil devils when they deserve it.
Part of what this class is about women fighting for their rights, and trying to prove or strength against men, but we are already strong, even stronger than men capable of achieving more than just the labor and the physical work, but maintaining a home with nurture and care as well.
Sediel describes how her mother “got her M.D at 22; she practiced medicine part-time so that she could lead Girl Scout troop and teach Sunday school”(Seidel 173), as I read this I though about how women including me accomplish so much in a day. Today I cleaned the house, changed my sibling for school, took them to school, picked them up from school, did my homework, massaged my mom so shes less stressed, went two hours to paint the house we have for investment and manged to pay a bill.
I do household work just as much as I can go and instal thouse door knobes, paint the house, take out the weeds and cut the grass.
We are busy women and need a break sometimes, I find my break by talking to my friends, and others like Sediel find it by reading romance. As Sandra Brown said “Romance is fun” (Brown 145), as women we need a break... and I know this because I am not your average teenager who has the luxury to wake up at 2pm, and be self-focused, I am basically the second mother, and believe me it’s not an easy job.
As I Pursuit a career I am not only thinking of me but my family, I want to set that example to my sibling, I want them to admire me.
Yes being a “mother” makes me both a strong feminist capable of so much, but a romance because I am willing to give up so much for those I love.
Judge me by the maternity I bring..
Judge me by the optimism I bring.
ReplyDeleteFor as long as I can remember people have been commenting on my positive attitude. The other day Tali told me I am happy-go-lucky and that she cannot picture me getting mad or upset. It is not something that I initially noticed in myself, but it must be true if so many people recognize it in me. I think I have a difficult time seeing my own optimism because it is simply a part of who I am. I was raised to appreciate what I have, live in the moment, and look for the good in all situations. A positive attitude is something that I have had instilled in me since I was a child. Being an optimist is certainly not always easy, but it is something that I enjoy being so I try to be positive as much as possible. I love smiling and making other people smile, and I strive to look on the bright side in negative situations. Again, this what I have always been taught and encouraged to do by my family. Alexandra mentioned that she wants her family and siblings to admire her and to set a good example. I also want to have a positive influence on the people around me. If my optimism can make someone see the positive side of a situation, then it makes me feel good. Helping people and making sure people are happy are both incredibly important to me, and I feel that I can do both better by being optimistic.
One of my favorite quotes of all time comes from Aubrey Hepburn. In part of this quote she says that, “Happy girls are the prettiest girls,” and I could not agree more. Seidel supports this quote in her piece Judge Me By the Joy I Bring when she says, “The fantasy, I believe, is not to be beautiful but to have an identity for yourself that is not caught up in your appearance.” She continues by saying a woman, “Knows that she has many other abilities and –this is crucial—values herself for them” (Seidel 164). Although I often get caught up in the idea that appearance is important, when someone comments on my optimism I realize how there are so many things that are more important. Happiness is one of these things. If I can bring happiness to simply just one other person a day, then I am content. When people are happy, they radiate happiness. These positive vibes instantly make them more beautiful. I have made an identity for myself, as Seidel says, through my effort to be optimistic, and value that this is a part of my character and an intrinsic value that has been instilled in me for as long as I can remember.
Optimism can be difficult, and just like Seidel, “I have my moments of dissatisfaction, of course, but I have power and meaning and I do not lack self-esteem or identity” (Seidel 174). When I am having a bad day or a negative experience, I allow myself to move on and know that it can only go up from there. This has helped me in school socially and academically. I have used my optimism to help friends get through tough times, and they have reciprocated when I have been struggling. Academically, my optimism has helped me set reasonable goal for myself and find the motivation to attain them. Believing in yourself and others makes a big difference when it comes to accomplishing goals. Sometimes my optimism may lean a little bit toward the fantasy side of the spectrum, but this class has showed me that it is normal for women to be attracted to fantasy. Also, fantasy often consists of strong heroines who find the positives in their situations and make things work out.
Judge me the optimism I bring because it is who I am and who I always have been. A positive attitude certainly makes my life happier, so smile and recognize life’s beauty!
Judge me by the creativity that I bring.
ReplyDeleteCreativity is an appreciation of mine that I place highly, in terms of being. My friends and I constantly try to pick up hobbies that involve a new form of self expression, such as hula hooping, making jewelry, and playing instruments. We enjoy connecting over music and going to concerts, maybe a bit too often. Beyond the physical acts, creativity allows me to further analyze my situations and my studies. In addition, it allows me to look at the positive side of every situation in life and be open minded. I love the cliche quote by Lord Thomas Dewar that states, “Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open.” I certainly believe it!
Particularly, in this class, creativity has allowed me to study feminism and romance and select where I stand in between the two. In addition, I believe the creative aspect of the mind connects completely to reading romance. Romance novels offer readers a creative form of escape. We’re not escaping from anything bad, as Seidel states by putting down Kay Mussel’s quote, “Reading romance provides an escape from powerless, from meaningless, from lack of self-esteem and identity” (Seidel 174). I have self identity and self-esteem, and most certainly power and meaning in my life! In these romance novels, we indulge in a false world. We use our creative minds to imagine Branson and Gwendolyn making love on a rose covered bed, and to picture Gwendolyn's long velvet dress. We fully bring these scenes to life in our minds. It is a fantasy, and we know it is just that. “Romance readers are grown women, able to distinguish between art and life, the literary and the actual” (Seidel 173). We are using romance as an art form and we certainly can differentiate between these realistic and unrealistic worlds.
Lastly, in my moments of using dance, music, and others forms of art, I am sometimes using these options for a peace of mind and a change of pace. It allows me to travel to an area separate from science and math. This is just like romance and its fantasy aspect. Seidel states, “In a fantasy you are longing, wishing, desiring to walk- for some time at least and perhaps only in the imagination- in some other shoes (Seidel 159). In simply painting a picture or learning a new song on guitar, I can bring myself mentally somewhere else for a little while. People certainly have their own forms of escapism, but our creativity provides the opportunity to travel off to these worlds.
Judge me for the childishness I bring.
ReplyDeleteEveryone who has ever met me, and gotten to know the real me, knows that I am the most childish person they know. And by childish, I don’t mean that I am going to go around talking in a baby voice or whining about everything, I simply mean that I am always trying to have fun and have a carefree attitude towards life. Although these days it is becoming more and more challenging and not in my favor to be carefree, I still try to keep this characteristic alive in my life. It is important to me to enjoy the little things in life.
Typically, whatever mood someone is in, they know they can always count on me to either bring a smile to their face or annoy the crap out of them—which usually also leads to a smile. Me being a childish person is only because I enjoy being able to find fun in things that the average person does not find to be fun; I will always be that one Peter Pan like person who refuses to grow up (but if I have to be an adult for a little while I will be).
I am childish because people everywhere expect the average eighteen year old to be grown up and take everything very seriously but not everything is serious; there are things that need to be made into jokes or games just for the sake of relieving stress. Being childish is “to have an identity for yourself” (Seidel 164); it makes me who I am. As Holly mentions, “helping people and making sure people are happy are both incredibly important to [her]” and I agree that they should be important for everyone. Everyone should find a way to make others happy in a way that also makes oneself happy. Whatever it is that you do to make the world a happier place, you have to remember that “life is a complex business with needs that vary by the moment,” (Seidel 177). Therefor each moment needs something different and I choose to add a little bit of childishness to each moment, so…
Judge me for the childishness I bring.
Judge me by the comfort that I bring.
ReplyDeleteI give the sense of comfort when I have conversations with my friends; I think it is because I listen closely and intently to what the other person has to say. For me, it’s just a matter of respect, since the other person feels comfortable enough and trusts me enough to tell me the things they are, then I should give them my full attention and opinions, to take what they say seriously. In a similar aspect to Seidel about romance novels, if “ a reader’s fantasies and a writer’s fantasies are very similar, the reader will also want to be wearing that doeskin robe” (Seidel 169), I find myself relating the situations described to me back to myself and my own current situations, how similar or different they are with whatever my friends have. I think this is why these conversations are not only comforting to them, but to myself as well, because most of the time I have really similar, if not the exact, situations to deal with, in which I give them my personal insight to the issue that may be different from what they’re thinking.
Most of the conversations revolve around the very topic of boys. This may come off as cliché: girls talking about boys. But it’s one of the biggest parts of our lives, so why not talk about it? I talk to many guy friends about their girl problems because they want a female perspective. Surprisingly, I feel as if Holly and I feel the same way about what we each bring, such as when she feels content when her optimism can influence others to become happy, I feel the same content and am honestly honored when a friend talks to me about boy-girl-relationship issues or any other issues as a matter of fact. It shows that they feel confident enough in our friendship to open up to me about such a personal topic. That I am the person they think of when they need to vent about their problems. I’m glad that I can help them take a load off their shoulders, to let them feel better by listening and providing comfort. For example, my best friend tells me that the advice I give her about boys often reminds her to not rely and lean on boys as much and it makes her feel better to know that she can rely on herself in life. This reminded me of how much the feminist part of me is prevalent and begins to impact others. It’s so ironic though, because I can give advice and comfort to my friends, yet I can’t do the same for myself. As Holly said that it is not always easy to be optimistic, I have trouble sticking to my own words. I can’t come up with the same thoughts, opinions and advice for myself whenever I’m stuck in a stressful situation. To be honest, I give myself the worst possible advice about what to do; I go with it and end up seriously ruining things between me and the other person.
Very much like Seidel’s romance novels for her readers, I think that if a friend of mine is going through a difficult time, “it might be pleasant to spend a few hours feeling as if [they] aren’t always being judged and graded” (Seidel 163) by talking to me. Opening up and venting to me about their problems that are bothering them at the moment is a thing they know they can do without any worries about me judging them. The comfort, advice, and support that I provide to my friends when they talk to me is something that makes me feel a bit more confident in myself. I think this illustrates that there always are multiple perspectives of situations, that it is important to be open-minded to new points of views, which can be applied to all aspects of life. As a person, I believe this demonstrates a small part of me that I pay attention to details and try to think of circumstances from the other person’s perspective.
So judge me on the comfort, advice, and support that I bring to others. Sometimes you just need someone to listen to everything you have to say. I’m your go to girl ;) So if any of you ever want to talk, I’m always willing to listen! (:
Judge me by the open-mindedness I bring.
ReplyDeletePeople tell me things. It doesn’t matter who, and it doesn’t matter what, but I have learned to be ready to listen when people come to share whatever is on their mind. My friends might not know me as consistently happy like Holly, (who I do in fact envy for that ability) but they do know me as a sort peacemaker who won’t take sides. Whenever there was girl drama going on within my friends, I waited until I heard all sides of the story before I contributed anything. I was their go-to mediator. As Holly said, and Lauren repeated, “helping people and making sure people are happy are both incredibly important to me.” And the only way I can do this is by being open to anything.
For years my sisters have to come to me with problems about their relationships, or work, or friends. When they need to get something off their chests, and need somebody to actually care about what they are saying, without passing judgment, I am the one they come to. It doesn’t matter to them if I have absolutely no experience on the subject, and it doesn’t matter that I am younger then they are. They know that I will sit there and listen, for as long as they need me to, and keep an open mind.
I often give them my advice after hearing the entire story, but it’s not always necessary. My opinion might not change much, because it is more important for my words to merely lead them to whatever decision they think is best for them. In this way I agree with Seidel’s skepticism over a feminism theory about romance novels. “Of course, by not being part of the solution – by not showing readers how to reorganize their lives – we are, some critics continue, part of the problem”(Seidel 174). It is not my place to tell them how to live their lives, just as it is not her place to fix the lives of other women through her novels. We are there for emotional support.
I believe that my open mindedness has really helped me in this class. At the beginning of the quarter, I had no real idea about what a feminist or romantic was, but I was ready to listen to any and all explanations. I was able to think critically be considering all of the pieces we have been reading, not just one that had a very specific point of view. I study this class as I do politics or religion, refusing to believe any one thing until I have taken everything into consideration.
It may not be a very specific or useful trait, like being creative or maternal, but as Seidel pointed out when she was discussing what makes a romance novel successful, is being yourself. “Absolute sincerity” is key, and I won’t try to be anyone else. “If there is none in the kitchen, forget about making a recipe that calls for it”(Seidel 168). So go ahead, judge me by the open-mindedness I bring.
Judge me by the blind trust that I bring.
ReplyDeleteSomething that I have always noticed sets me slightly apart from many of my peers is my strong belief that everyone is intrinsically good. There are a lot of times when I’m with my friends and one of them will say “I don’t like her anymore because…” and I always begin to feel uncomfortable in the conversation. I’m not the type to ever write somebody off, or dislike them for a single action. Just like Holly strives to have a positive view on life, I tend to view people in a positive light as much as possible. I give trust quickly and easily, and I try to give everyone an equal chance.
While having positivity in one’s life is often seen as a good thing, I also think there is a downside. Mackenzie and Sarah talked about how their open-mindedness and creativity have helped them in this class; however, I think my blind trust in the good in people has made it more difficult for me to draw conclusions when it comes to feminism and romance. I don’t want to view men as domineering bullies who all see women as inferior. Like Seidel, I don’t see myself as trying to escape “from powerlessness, from meaninglessness, and from lack of self-esteem and identity” (Seidel 174). While I think we still need to promote gender equality, I don’t have a hatred for or feel oppressed by men. On the romantic side, I have a hard time laying judgment on romance readers. I feel just like Seidel feels about Janice Radway being “astonished” that she liked a romance bookseller. Radway had prejudice against romance readers before she even got to know them. This is something that is entirely against my nature. If the novels help a reader “when she is tired” and “is the only way she knows how to relax” then I think it is good for her (Seidel 173). I don’t want to place judgment or dislike her for doing what makes her happy.
While my blind trust in people can often lead me to be indecisive, especially in this class, it is something that ultimately makes me happy. Seidel says, “I don’t see things as all that bad” (174) and similarly, I don’t see people as all that bad. By choosing to see the good in them, I find friendships and love in places others might not.
Judge me for the independence I bring…
ReplyDeleteI am an eighteen year old girl who loves romance movies and novels. I will always get swept up in a good love story. However, I am not the type who believe these unrealistic stories can occur in real life and I do not seek these types of stories out in my own life. Honestly I’m not constantly seeking companionship at all. Why? Because I am completely independent and do not want someone holding me back from things. I like making my own decisions and being in control of my entire life. I have been completely independent since a young age. Like Seidel explains, “I am a woman but love is not my whole existence not unless you include my children, and my work, my friends, my parents, the smell of tomato plants, and the window treatment in my living room. All of which I love” (161). Just because I pride myself on the amount of independence I have does not mean I do not have things in my life that I love. I love my family and friends and cupcakes and penguins. But it is possible for me to love these things and keep hold of my independence. Lauren describes,“ I am childish because people everywhere expect the average eighteen year old to be grown up and take everything very seriously.” Lauren does exactly opposite of what is expected of her. Because I enjoy romance novels it is expected of me to be a romantic and to seek that type of companionship. But honestly I’d rather be independent and not have to answer to someone.
I think the fact that I am so independent has helped me in this class because I am able to relate to both sides. I can be an active reader in the romance and feel what the characters are doing but at the same time I understand feminism and understand why women would like to seek a world where a woman is not dependent on a man. When Moran explains that everyone is a feminist by default I can easily understand that because I would consider myself one even though I’m not willing to go on strike for women’s rights. I use a strong sense of independence in everything in my life. I am not easily influenced by people or popular culture and will always make decisions for myself not for everyone else. So judge me for the independence I bring.
Judge me by the compassion I bring.
ReplyDeleteI tend to pick up on a person’s mood pretty quickly. When I sense that a person isn’t in a good mood I don’t necessarily try to pry information from them about their personal lives, but when I realize something is wrong with a friend or even an acquaintance I want them to know that I care about them and that I want their day to get better. I ask them once or twice about what is bothering them, and if they are uncomfortable talking about it or prefer not to talk about it I don’t ask again. I just let them know that I am there if they ever need anything because I genuinely do care.
Like Fendi, I listen to a person’s problems without making judgements. What sets me apart from her is that I try my best not to give advice in return, just to listen and console. “But such real-life change is not, I think, the standard by which we should judge our work” (Seidel 173). Like Seidel, I am not trying to change the course of my friend’s lives but I show compassion because I care about them and I want them to know that I support their decisions. “I do not feel a responsibility to tell readers how to live their lives” (Seidel 173). I am not a therapist. I do not like to tell a person what to do unless I am absolutely positive it will have no negative effects on the person in the future. I think it is ultimately the best decision to let people make their own decisions without the opinion of others getting in the way. I let people come to their conclusions about how to go about the situation on their own.
So judge me by the compassion I bring, for I feel it is one of my more positive character traits. When I get to know someone, I develop compassion for them. I care about their well-being, as well as the continuation and strengthening of our friendship. If I ask you if there is something on your mind it’s not because I’m trying to be nosey, it’s because I am legitimately concerned.
Judge me by the determination I bring.
ReplyDeleteI had a less than ordinary childhood; my parents were divorced when I was ten, and since then I have basically been self sufficient. Having two single parents that worked full time, learning how to be independent was my only option, and from a young age I learned to do my homework without being told, cook for myself, do my chores on my own, and many other things. Though this transition was difficult, I was determined to do what needed to be done, and this determination has helped me succeed in most aspects of my life.
I feel that my sense of determination has also helped me both with this class and with understanding feminism and romance. One reason that my determination has been useful is that it has helped me relate more easily both to feminists and to some of the heroines of romance novels that we have read about. In terms of feminism, determination is a very important aspect - the changes that we have seen in society and culture regarding women's rights spur directly from the determination of feminists to promote their cause. Without this determination, it would not be possible for change to be made.
Surprisingly, my own determination has also allowed me to better connect with the heroines of romance novels. As Kathleen Gilles Seidel discusses in her essay "Judge Me By the Joy I Bring," the heroines of modern day romance novels have become increasingly more independent and strong: "We have changed the notion of what heroines can be and what they can do. They can be older. They can be sexually experienced. Some are divorced; some are mothers. We have put them in traditionally masculine jobs. They build bridges, finance shopping malls, and found ice cream empires. The historical heroines take over their father's medical practice, run the family newspaper, or put on their brother's breeches and ride out to battle" (Seidel 170). Romance novels such as this are easier for me to understand and respect because of the fact that their heroines are determined to succeed in life and do what must be done to be happy - just as I have done in my life.
As Jordan mentioned in her post, she feel that her independence allows her be "an active reader in the romance and feel what the characters are doing but at the same time I understand feminism and understand why women would like to seek a world where a woman is not dependent on a man." In other words, because she understands that she can be content in life without relying on others, she is better able to relate to all aspects of the class. I feel that my determination has produced a very similar experience. I am able to realize that determination can be one of the greatest assets in life, and allow a person to go farther and dream bigger than they would be able to otherwise. This realization has helped me to understand the nature of feminism, as well as the heroines of romance novels, and therefore allowed me to enjoy each concept to a higher degree.
Overall, I feel that by approaching every challenge in life with determination, I am able to do what is best for myself and achieve my biggest goals. I have shown my determination not only in learning how to take care of myself, but also in my work ethic at school, my relationships, and my struggles. And finally, I am determined to create the life that I want for myself, whether that life includes a romantic relationship or not.
So judge me by the determination I bring.
Judge me by the cheerfulness I bring.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I go anywhere I always want to lighten the mood and make other people, including me, feel good. There are so many instances and occurrences in this world that dampen our mood so I try my best to either tell a couple of jokes or just act goofy and positive in order to make sure that at least one person that is with me is able to laugh. I also try to make other people feel good because their emotions also impact me.
I am very similar to Erin, in which that I can very easily pick up on other people’s emotions and know when they are having a bad day. Because of this, I try very hard to help other people get better and become happier. I think that everybody deserves to laugh until they cry and until their stomach hurts. At the very least, everybody deserves to forget their problems for a short period of time so that they enjoy their lives.
“The plot of a romance novel – especially its happy ending – sets up fantasies about the way the world ought to work. A happy ending is a necessary, inevitable” (Seidel). Seidel uses romance novels as a form of escapism. She uses the plot and comic relief in order to provide a fantasy that diverts the reader’s attention away from their troubles and worries.
In conclusion, I believe that my cheerfulness brings the people that I am around a way to escape from their daily troubles or worries. Once most people start to laugh they are able to forget the many things that cause them to worry or might ruin their day.
Judge me by the insight I bring. I think we can all agree that I like to share my opinion during our class time. Honestly, I tend to share my opinion no matter where I am. However, if you listen to me when I speak I always try to express my thoughts in a relevant manner. Many times I get my point across through story telling. I enjoy talking so much because words fascinate me. I believe that if you want to have an impact on someones life words are one of the most important forms of expression you can use. I am sure that women such as Kathleen Seidel who dedicate their careers to writing novels would agree with this thought. In her article "Judge Me by the Joy I Bring" she discusses that when it comes to writing, a novelist must write about what they are passionate about. Historical fiction is currently the biggest best seller, but she is not going to go attempt to write a historical fiction novel because she knows it would be a failure. (Seidel 168). What I take away from this thought by her is that we all have our own individual strengths and we should pursue them.
ReplyDeleteWith that thought in mind I know that my strength is impacting people with words. I like to think that I have a talent for understanding how to communicate to people and understand them. Perhaps this is why I have chosen to be a Psychology major. Holly says we should judge her by the optimism she brings. It is clear to anyone that knows Holly that she is an extremely happy and optimistic person. Judging her by her optimism is extremely accurate. I gave thought to how people remember me the same way I remember Holly by her optimistic view on life. I bet people remember me by my enthusiasm for participating in discussions. I swear my not everything I say is nonsense! There is something for everyone to get out of what I say!
So....next time I am ranting in class realize that the content of my rants have substance and are insightful. Therefore, judge me by the insight I provide!
Judge me by the second place medal I bring.
ReplyDeleteI always seem to be the runner up. I don’t mean to complain or to claim that my life is a difficult disaster house; in fact, I have privileges and opportunities many people don’t have, and I am so grateful for each and every one of those trinkets of happiness in my life. I try to adopt Holly’s optimistic way of life by always looking on the bright side (although I am sure she is better at this than me). I am proud of my many successes.
However, more times than not, I have been faced with the phrase: not quite. In high school, I maintained a GPA above a 4.0, played soccer and swam, worked for a local Congressman, traveled to Indonesia, and was president of two clubs. When applying for colleges, I was rejected from 4 of my 6 schools and from every single scholarship. I placed second in the class speaker nomination process at my school. I was the only club president not to win a leadership award at my school’s award ceremonies. I was waitlisted for the leadership program at DU.
I did a lot of hard work, but it seemed I was never awarded with a definitive pat on the back. That pat always went to someone else.
My previous two paragraphs seem like a major bitch fest. I’m aware my life is not hard by any standard, and I just want to assert that fact that I am extremely happy with where I ended up. However, I do wish I were confident enough to sit here and say I didn’t need that definitive recognition- that I was okay doing all that hard work and not getting the gleaming gold.
But I’m flawed and human, so I bring to this table my second place medal. My best was never THE best, and, ironically enough, this ‘wahhh go cry me a river’ complaint is exactly what relates me to romance heroines. The most relatable romance heroines do not have anything distinct about them: they are beautiful but not the most beautiful, they are intelligent but not the most intelligent, they have careers but they are not the millionaires.
They are wonderfully average until they meet their hero. According to Seidel, “[romance heroines] are loved just because they are there” (Seidel 163). And isn’t that what true love’s supposed to be? You are not supposed to be infinitely loved because you were the valedictorian at your high school. You are supposed to be loved because you are perfect at just being you. Reading romance novels makes me hopeful that I will meet someone someday who won’t make me feel like I am the second best.
Reading the romance allows me to imagine a love in which I am more than enough. It gives me the pleasure of enjoying an incredible dream- an amazing fantasy!
And isn’t that what the romance is all about?
Judge me by the humor I bring.
ReplyDeleteThroughout my life, I have used humor as a crutch. Something to help me deal with awkward social situations, but to also get me through difficult situations. I believe humor can help anyone get through most tough situations. In this class, humor has helped me make a connection to many feminists. For example, Moran uses humor in her feminist novel How to be a Woman. She says "People get really scared when women reclaim words, talk about themselves honestly and also make jokes because it's a really unstoppable combination," Moran says. "It's part of the reason why I decided to use humor in my book because it's kind of hard to argue with someone who's making you laugh." I whole-heartedly agree with this, mostly because I’ve done it myself. I agree with Lauren when she says, “I enjoy being able to find fun in things that the average person does not find to be fun.” I use this to inspire my humor.
“Romances are full of delicious moments, some funny, some heartwarming, some sensually evocative” (Seidel 176). Seidel talks about how many women use romance novels as a form of escapism. This made me think of how I use humor as my escapism. My favorite movies, television shows, and books are comedies. I hadn’t fully realized this before I started to write this sentence, but now it makes a lot of sense.
Humor has not been only a beneficial part of my life though. It has gotten me into a lot of trouble too, but I would never trade it for anything.
Judge me by the humor I bring.